Sunday, October 11, 2009

Fall is Here "Spike Elk Hunting Season"

Jarrett is quite the hunter he absolutely loves being in the mountains and riding his horse Spider. We got up at 5:15 am the opening day of the spike hunt and had to be at my mom and dads house by 6:00 am. Jarrett was up and ready to go in no time because he was so excited. We got to mom and dads house and to my surprise my dad wasn't ready to go yet. So we got the horses saddled and loaded and headed down the road. Well, every hunting trip Jarrett has been on his dad has always stopped at Maverik for a treat first, so of course he told Grandpa Payne he needed to go to Maverik for a treat and all he wanted was a Sprite and Starburst great treat for such an early morning huh. This year my dad took me spike elk hunting because Landon was hunting Buffalo down on the Henry Mountains so what a fun day for both of us. We we had a great day I had the chance to see several spike elk and to say the least I am not the best shot since I only shoot one time a year and thats the spike elk hunt so it took several sightings for me to finally KILL and elk . Jarrett had about enough elk hunting for one day we hike his butt off kept sitting down in the middle of the trails until dad and I got a little ways out of his sight then he decided to jump up and catch up I don't blame him because it was a pretty long day and he was way tired. All he wanted to do was ride his horse but after the long hike and such a long day of elk hunting he could hardly stay awake Spider is a pretty good rocking horse. But it was great and we were successful on the FIRST DAY!!
Thanks to my GREAT dad for skinning my elk I am into hunting but not really into skinning and gutting them. I can't even hardly stand helping hold it because it is still warm. But my dad has done plenty of skinning and it doesn't seem to even bother him at all. Here dad is sharpening his knife to get ready for the skinning and Jarrett is taking it all in learning everything there is to know about sharpening a knife and of course asking LOTS of guestions. He is so smart!!
This is me and Jarrett posing for the camera after the one kill shot of my spike. I'm trying to hide the other side because the eye ball is almost out and it is kind of grose. We had to drag him over some logs and down a hill a little ways to get him on a flat spot. "Dad said he thought I would have found a better place to kill and elk with all the ones he showed me this was the worst place."
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Nice job Kim! Looks like ya all had a fun time. And it looks like it was a lot nicer weather than last year. See ya soon.

    ReplyDelete